The Lincoln Library is situated on the corner of Main and First Street in Medicine Lodge, Kansas. The Lincoln Library continues to grow and has a rich and vibrant history; it celebrated 120 years this past year. Present and past librarians and staff of the Lincoln Library handed out 1500 donated books during a three-day event at the Peace Treaty Pageant Parade in 2018.
The Lincoln Library is an automated library using the Follett Destiny System. It supports an updated collection, computer stations and has many interesting projects such as digitization, outreach programs, augmented virtual reality, 3D Pen, robotics, book club, summer reading programs, story time and many more. The Library has the support of an active Library Board and Foundation.
The city of Medicine Lodge has the largest population in the county and is the County Seat of Barber County, Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 2,009. The area is known for the scenic Gypsum Red Hills, rich history, winding rivers, abundant wildlife and wide open space. The main industries in the area that round out the top employers are farm and ranch, oil and gas, National Gypsum, hospital and School District. Originated by the 1867 Medicine Lodge Treaty, the city is known for its quality educators, fine churches, recreational programs, business friendly atmosphere, and low crime rate.
Library Director Job Description
The Library Director, working with the guidance of the Lincoln Library Medicine Lodge Board of Trustees, is responsible for managing and providing library services to the residents of the City of Medicine Lodge and surrounding service area of Barber County.
Start date: September 1, 2019
The Library Director provides administrative, financial and public services for the effective management and delivery of library services to the community.
The position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and requires a minimum of 40-hour work week.
1) Minimum educational requirement is an Associate Degree or 60 hours of undergraduate college credit and the preferred credential is a Master of Library and Information Science degree.
2) Library work experience.
3) Proficiency with Microsoft Offices and QuickBooks software applications.
4) Residency in Medicine Lodge or residency within a reasonable driving distance of Medicine Lodge.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
1) Demonstrated management and administrative abilities for the operation of a public library, non-profit organization or business.
2) Knowledge of modern library services.
3) Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
4) Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
5) Knowledge of financial management.
6) Knowledge of information technologies.
7) Ability to supervise and evaluate staff and services.
8) Knowledge of leadership principles.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $35,000 to $40,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Paid Kansas Public Employee Retirement System (KPERS) benefit and annual single paid health insurance benefit.
Additional information includes a detailed list of duties and application instructions. Application deadline June 25, 2019